Sunday 12 March 2017

The Basics of philosophy.

Hi all.

Welcome to a another sunny Sunday noon on planet Earth.

Today is intended to be something a short blog entry, since it serves an introduction to a bit of a  serialisation of my thoughts on a book I'm currently reading.

Nigel Warburton's "the basics  of  philosophy"


As regular readers of my random musing of the world at large will know I've developed something of an interest in the socratic method of questioning what we human presume to know. 

However, it seemed to me that it would be a logical approach to learn more about the central tenants of philosophical thought since my prior experience is based very much in the more scientific methods and well, to be honest, i didn't know know what I didn't know. 

In reading this book, aimed at the fledgling philosopher, I aim to find out what I don't yet know, as the author discusses arguments relating to 

God
Right and Wrong
Animals
Politics
Appearance and reality
Science
Mind
Art

I thought I would take an approach similar to that of Wayne Dyer in his explorations of the Tao De Ching, Dr Dyer took 4 days to examine each verse of the Dao. Of course theres quite a bit more to this that a single verse in each section. So I plan to read each section, probably re read it a few times and then write about it. Perhaps the arguments may tie into other more personal questions, such as  trans, parenthood, and who know what. 

So, there it is, my self imposed project for the next year or so, to explore and learn the basics of  philosophy 

Lets see what happens eh? 

;-) 

Sarah 

No comments:

Post a Comment