Thursday 30 March 2017

Feeling a little odd...


Hi all you lovely people.

I had planned to add to the mini series on the basic's of philosophy this afternoon. But tbh my mind is wandering off down tracks a little less structured, so I decided to let it do so and just figure things out as I went, leaving the more academic stuff for another time.

I was out and about at a local college today, finishing up on small program designed and operated  jointly by the DWP and the college. Its one of those  "Back to work things"

I dont mean to be brash when I say that academically its of no use to me, since its far below the level at which I'm already qualified. However it was of benefit in other more subtle ways.

Meeting people, and just being out and about is very much under rated. Sure we all love to chill out at home, but after seven dark winter months of partially forced and partially welcomed hibernation It's obvious that this grizzly need to get out more.

Why have I written so much in recent months? Well because the end of  my college courses coincided with the end of my job and the end of the summer so, thankfully I hooked into something that took my interest and it's kept me sane.

Years ago, when i was first seeking jobs and stimulation from the world at large the last thing I wanted was a steady 9-5. I wanted challenge, adventure, interest, excitement and to use a technical term, to "find out about new shit" that I didn't yet know. So after wandering around fora few years I signed up in the uniform of UK plc and went off to play in the big wide world.

What I didn't know of course is that the "big wide world " largely fails to examine that which it doesn't know outside of  the abstract or academic. That, and others acceptance of the questioning of same whilst wearing said uniform depended greatly on the level of badge one held.

Now in my early 40's I would be quite content with a 9-5 sort of role. Although going to the same place each day would be fine i think i'd still struggle doing the same thing. Repetition without challenge or growth is simply dull. and this is where my blogs have been a bit of a cathartic life line.

I may be severely limited by lack of resource, resulting in a  very humdrum existence and largely empty routine, but "the mind" is a great thing. It needs little to produce much. Thought can allow us to escape any physical prison you care to mention. A fact that was brought home to me the other night during a rare occasion where I found something of interest to watch on Einstein's favourite time waster.

"Amazing spaces" hosted by George Clarke were building a caravan. Not just any caravan, but one designed and planned in meticulous detail by a former POW who had, for nearly 4 years, suffered horrendous treatment at the hands of the Japanese.

Sadly the designer, "Reg" died having never seen it built, but his daughter - herself now a pensioner -  had found the notebook containing the planning that had kept her father sane during this period. I also learnt of the underground university. Where the men would pretend to play cards whilst sharing knowledge of all sorts of subjects.

My time in the medical world allowed me to bear witness to the incredible feats of human resilience. Mental willpower. How one meets problems has a direct bearing on the effect those problems have on us.

My life is not even in the same ball bark as someone with a terminal illness, or suffering extreme deprivation like that seen by POW's in the eastern conflicts, but it occurred to me the approach to the challenges brought in each case have been similar.

I sure you've all heard it before:

"It's not the problem thats the problem, it's your attitude to the problem that is the problem. "

Reg's drawings:


 And the finished article:




So:

When life is a bit odd, and you feel a little weird, things aint going like they should and you're left wondering what path to tread,

Consider Reg's attitude to the problem, and ask yourself, "is the answer already in my head?"

'Cos which ever way you cut it, In Reg's case and those like him, that was a bloody great attitude.

Till next time,

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment